- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ c. red wine (I prefer James River Cellars Rad Red)
- Kosher salt
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 clove garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 ½ lb. lean beef stew meat
- 12 oz. pappardelle or other wide noodles
- ½ c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the crushed tomatoes, red wine, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the whole tomatoes, breaking them up with your hands. Stir in the garlic, carrots, onion, and rosemary.
Add the stew meat and turn to coat. Cook, covered, until the beef is cooked through and shreds easily, 6 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
Twenty minutes before serving, cook the pasta according to package directions. Remove and discard the rosemary. Skim any fat that has risen to the top. Using a fork, break the meat into smaller pieces, then stir into the cooking liquid; fold in the parsley. Serve the beef ragu over the pasta and sprinkle with the Parmesan.