- 2 (20 ounce) cans of pineapple chunks, tidbits or crushed pineapple, drained, but juices reserved
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, sliced thin
- 1-1/2 sleeves of crushed Ritz crackers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1-quart casserole dish, or spray with non-stick spray; set aside. Drain the pineapple juice into a saucepan; set aside the pineapple. Combine the sugar and cornstarch and add to the juice. Heat over medium high, stirring regularly, until sugar dissolves and forms a syrup. Stir in the pineapple.
To the baking dish add 1/2 of the pineapple and syrup mixture, top that with 1/2 of the crushed Ritz crackers, and thinly slice 1/2 of the butter over the top. Sprinkle on 1 cup of the cheese; repeat layers but ending with the butter; reserve the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Baked uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Remove, add remaining cheese on top and return to the oven just until cheese has melted. Serve as a side dish with pork or ham.