Ladies Home Journal
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cherry juice mixed with enough milk to total 2/3 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra walnuts for decoration
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an eight-inch round cake pan.
For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour alternately with milk and cherry juice mixture. Add vanilla. Beat until thoroughly blended.
Stir in walnuts and cherries. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for one hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool about 20 minutes.
For frosting, beat butter in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until light and fluffy, 2 min. Add the milk and vanilla and stir until combined. Frost cake and garnish with walnuts. Serves 8