- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lb beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces if needed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (2 cups)
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
In 12-inch skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides.
Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix browned beef and remaining ingredients.
Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 10 hours.
Makes 6 servings (1 2/3 cups each)