- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large new potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned, chopped, if desired
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 3 cups frozen corn (from two 12-oz bags)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb crumbled cooked bacon, if desired for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, if desired for garnish
- In slow cooker, mix all ingredients except whipping cream, cornstarch, salt and pepper, bacon and parsley.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting about 4 hours or on Low heat setting 8 hours.
- In small bowl, beat whipping cream and cornstarch with whisk until smooth. Stir into mixture in slow cooker. Cover; cook 15 minutes longer.
- Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish individual bowls of chowder with parsley and bacon.
Makes 12 servings