Yesterday during the brief power outage, the students at Prep did an activity on setting goals for improving their life. The idea came from Mr. Albright who shared a video from TED –Try Something New for 30 Days – and suggested an activity to accompany it.
The students took a few minutes to consider things in their lives that they wanted to increase, decrease, add or eliminate. Students then shared some of the main ideas they created. As a class, we discussed the importance of improving one’s life and how anyone can do anything for 30 days. In the final part of the activity, the students committed to changing one things in their lives for thirty days. Some decided to commit to a healthier lifestyle, others want to eliminate the bad influences in their lives, while a couple pledged to improve their grades. They analyzed the benefits of the proposed changes and identified obstacles to reaching their goals. The final commitments were then taped to each students’ mailbox as a daily reminder.
Today I received this email titled 2012 Handbook that ties in very well with this activity.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants..
4. Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy
5. Make time to pray.
6. Play more games
7. Read more books than you did in 2011
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile.
11. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. Don’t have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
13. Don’t overdo. Keep your limits.
14. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
15. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip.
16. Dream more while you are awake
17. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need..
18. Forget issues of the past. Don’t remind your partner with His/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don’t hate others.
20. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
22. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree….
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others.
27. Forgive everyone for everything..
28. Spend time w/ people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
29. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is none of your business.
31. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
32. Do the right thing!
33. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
34. However good or bad a situation is, it will change..
35. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
36. The best is yet to come..
37. Your Inner most is always happy. So, be happy.
Last but not the least:
38. Please share this with everyone you care about, I just did.