- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 3/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 (8×4-inch) loaf pans with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. In small bowl, stir molasses, water and baking soda until well mixed; beat into brown sugar mixture.
- Gradually stir in flour and remaining bread ingredients until well blended. Spoon batter evenly into pans.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on cooling rack 15 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and enough lemon juice for desired consistency. Brush glaze over cooled loaves. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.