- 2 lb bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 3 medium onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (29 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 oz) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage, onions, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place sausage mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.