“Stone Soup” is a children’s folktale that tells an optimistic story of townspeople sharing ingredients from their cupboards and an actual stone to make a pot of soup.
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs
- 1 carton (32 oz) beef flavored broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
- 1 medium potato, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
- 1 bag (1 lb) frozen mixed vegetables
1 In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix frozen meatballs, broth, tomatoes, potato, onion and garlic-pepper blend.
2 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 11 hours or until vegetables are tender.
3 Stir in frozen mixed vegetables. Cover; cook on High heat setting 1 hour.
Make this hot and hearty soup the main course of a simple meal. Serve with whole-grain rolls or bread, or assorted crackers.
Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.