- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 17 ounces beef stock
- 1 1/2 ounces dry port or red wine
- 2 thick lemon slices with peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt and fresh ground pepper
- dash or two of wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 pounds roast chicken (just the meat, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed non-reactive saucepan.
- Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add the flour, and cook until the *roux* is golden brown.
- Pour in the beef stock and port. Add lemon slices, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Allow the sauce to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour through a fine strainer, test for seasoning, and add vinegar and salt or pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken pieces and heat over a low flame. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles or dumplings.