challahgirl, this one’s for you!
- 2 medium red, yellow, or green bell peppers
- 8 ounces tempeh, cubed
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (Can use more )
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Parboil peppers 5 minutes in gently boiling water.
- Remove peppers; run under cold water to stop cooking.
- When cool enough to handle, core peppers, discarding stalks, seeds, and white membrane.
- While peppers cook, combine tempeh, tamari, and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Drain; transfer to a medium bowl.
- Stir in basil and garlic, mashing tempeh with the back of a spoon.
- Usnig a teaspoon, fill peppers loosely with tempeh-tamari mixture.
- Place upright in a lightly-oiled baking dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs and drizzle with oil.
- Bake 25 minutes, then broil 2 minutes or until top is brown.
- Serve hot.
- Variation: Stir minced ginger, onion, or chilies into cooked tempeh-tamari mixture.