- 4 whole green (or red) peppers
- 1 cup rice
- 3/4 pound ground beef, turkey, or veal
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Boil the rice in 2 1/2 cups of water until all the water is gone; remove from heat.
- “Core” the peppers (take the stems and seeds out) and scald them in boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the water from heat, but let the peppers simmer in the water.
- On high heat, cook the meat in an ungreased, non-stick or well-seasoned skillet (the fat will keep the food from sticking).
- When the meat is about halfway done, add the chopped onion, and continue cooking until the meat is done and the onion pieces are translucent (add olive oil if necessary).
- Lower to medium heat and stir in the garlic, cooking just long enough for the garlic to brown, then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, and salt.
- Add the rice, followed by the meat mixture, then add pepper and extra garlic powder to taste.
- Fill the pepper shells with the mixture, and arrange standing up in a casserole dish. Top with grated mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until mozzarella is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.