- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Vidalia onion or other large, sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, canned, undrained and chopped
- 16 ounces stewed tomatoes, canned, undrained
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, canned, drained
- 15 ounces black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces pinto beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped chunky
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped chunky
- 12 ounces frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sour cream, optional garnish
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional garnish)
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, bell peppers, and celery.
- Sauté 5 minutes or until tender and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on Low 6-8 hours or High 5-7 hours.
- Serve over white or brown rice and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and/or sprinkled with shredded cheese.