- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Stir dough down and spoon two-thirds into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Top with pie filling. Drop remaining dough by tablespoonfuls over pie filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. Combine the confectioners’ sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 275 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.