Via Goochland County Public Schools website
The school board approved changes to the 2010-11 school calendar during their December 14, 2010 meeting. December 20 & 21 are no longer make-up days.
Why the change?
- We anticipated that attendance would be poor. Because holiday plans have been established and the missed day to be made up occurred in such close proximity to the proposed make-up date of December 20, we felt that opening school on that Monday would be an undue imposition upon the families of students and staff.
- Similarly, we believed that securing substitute teachers for staff unable to amend plans (plane tickets, etc.) would be next to impossible and extremely expensive.
- Weather reports are indicating the potential for snow for this weekend. We foresee the possibility that we would ask the community to adjust plans and attend school on Monday, December 20 and then weekend weather could prevent our opening school that day.
After considering the impact of these foreseeable circumstances, we determined that using the December 20 or 21 make-up days was not justifiable.
- Missed School Day / Make-up Day
- Monday, December 13 to Monday, February 21
- Next missed day to Monday, March 14
- Next missed day to Monday, June 6 or Bank Time
- Next missed day to Tuesday, June 7 or Bank Time
- Next missed day to Wednesday, June 8 or Bank Time
- Next missed day to Thursday, June 9 or Bank Time
- Next missed day to Friday, June 10 or Bank Time
- Additional missed days go to Extended days