For me it just isn’t Christmas without this fudge. My father learned to make it from his father in the late 40’s, and my father passed the recipe to my brother who makes it now.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch morsels
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, plus 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
In top of double boiler, melt chocolate and butterscotch together with the milk. Stir occasionally until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat; add chopped walnuts and vanilla. Blend well. Chill for 1 hour until mixture thickens. Line bottom of a 9-inch pan, with a 12-inch square of foil. Place 3/4 cup walnut halves in bottom of pan, forming a 2-inch-wide flat ring. Spoon chocolate mixture in small mounds on top of walnuts to form a ring. Top with remaining walnut halves. Chill until firm enough to slice. Invert onto a serving plate and garnish with maraschino cherries.