Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
Can’t afford to go to the islands?? Try this healthy Hawaiian burger!
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 4 sesame hamburger buns
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use); set pineapple aside. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onions, red pepper, soy sauce, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Brush with teriyaki sauce. Grill 4-6 minutes longer on each side or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 165°. Grill pineapple slices for 2 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with teriyaki sauce. Warm buns on grill; top each with a burger and pineapple slice.
Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One burger equals 391 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 1,041 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Suggestion: I serve them with sweet potato fries with honey for dipping sauce, instead of ketchup.