Essay due April 1/2 on a flash drive or via email, not Google Docs!
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Topics – D1 B2
1. How does Kesey make the reader question the accepted definitions of “sane,” “insane,” “sick,” and “healthy”?
2. Why is Bromden the narrator of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest instead of McMurphy? Who is the real protagonist of the novel?
3. How is Nurse Ratched’s ward like a totalitarian society?
4. How has MacMurphy given these men their manhood’s back. Explain the process.
A Raisin in the Sun Topics – D1 B3
1. If people can be divided into three groups–those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened–apply each of these to the three characters in Raisin who respectively prove that this is so.
2. Show how Raisin deals with the generation gap–the problems that the older generation has in dealing with the younger generation and vice versa.
3. Most people define loneliness as being alone, but a person might experience loneliness even when surrounded by other people. A person can be lonely if his/her ideas, feelings, or circumstances are different from those around them. Discuss a character from Raisin who experiences loneliness because of the differences in his/her ideas, feelings, or circumstances.
Wish You Well Topics – D2 B1
- Choose three different characters from the novel and discuss the impact of the setting on each character.
- Tragedy strikes Lou in several different forms, Validate this statement by using specific examples from the story.
- At one point in the story, the people on the mountain show an enormous amount of support for one of their own. What has happened? Discuss the cause of the need for the support and the implications the actions may have on Lou.
- Injustice prevails in our society, past and present. What are some examples of injustice in the novel and how do they shape the many characters?
- In the novel the mountains seem to be living beings. Why is that important in the overall context of the story? What point is Baldacci attempting to convey?