Rough draft due January 29. Final draft due February 2.
- Is Steinbeck fair to the California owners? Does he present them all as heartless, cruel, and exploitative of the poor?
- How does Steinbeck present religion in this novel?
- Why is it appropriate that Grampa and Grandma never make it to California?
- Define an epic. Do you believe The Grapes of Wrath attains epic proportions?
- What signs of hope appear in the novel to reassure us that humanity’s on-going struggle with adversity will be successful?
- Account for the title. What wrath does Steinbeck identify?
- Discuss what the family council meeting, before they set out, tells about the way of life and culture of the Joads.
- What is Jim Casy’s role in the novel? How does his moral philosophy govern the novel as a whole?