Day 2 Honors 11 students update the essay topics for A Farewell to Arms!
Writing assignment – Choose one topic and write a five paragraph essay.
- In the very first sentence, Hemingway introduces the house looking across the river and plain to the mountains. Explain the symbolic significance of this passage.
- Are the characters in A Farewell To Arms stereotypes? If so, explain the usefulness of employing stereotypes in A Farewell To Arms. If they are not, explain how they merit individuality.
- Discuss the symbolic meaning of rain, Catherine’s long hair, Frederick’s beard, nighttime, and food.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald considered Catherine’s character the weak link in A Farewell to Arms. With attention to Catherine’s values and motivations and to the way Hemingway portrays her character, do you agree with Fitzgerald’s opinion? Why or why not?
- A Farewell to Arms is one of the most famous war novels ever written. Unlike many war stories, however, the novel does not glorify the experience of combat or offer us portraits of heroes as they are traditionally conceived. What is the novel’s attitude toward war? Is it fair to call A Farewell to Arms an antiwar novel?